Friday, May 25, 2012

It's Showtime!

The Festival of Biodiversity begins tomorrow!



Many of us are busy making preparations for the weekend, with a wide range of activities for the whole family to enjoy. Besides doing booth duty as a volunteer guide with the Marine Exhibtion and the Raffles Museum Toddycats!, I also plan to participate in some of the film screenings, symposiums, and of course, not to forget my talk on Sunday.


I was quite surprised and pleased to see that my talk was mentioned in The Straits Times, as one of the many activities and events taking place at the Festival.
BODIES OF EVIDENCE: A MORBID CELEBRATION OF BIODIVERSITY

What: Learn what dead animals can tell us about wildlife and the impact of human activities on the natural environment in urban Singapore. Presented by nature blogger Ivan Kwan.
When: Sunday, 2 to 2.45pm

Where: Function Room
The press selected my photo of the skull of a wild boar (Sus scrofa vittatus), which I saw at Chek Jawa on 30th May 2009, to go with the article.

P1200830

I've been quite busy over the last couple of weeks, getting my presentation slides done up, trying to create some coherence out of the whole jumble of photos of dead animals. Not to mention all the people I've been contacting for permission to use their own photos in my talk. A big thank you to all of those who have so graciously and generously granted my humble requests.

Here's a sneak peek at the slides I've prepared.



It's already more or less complete, and I hope that I still manage to keep to the 45-minute time limit. I'll be spending tonight and tomorrow night practising and rehearsing, and hopefully, I won't need to cull too much content.

Credit goes to all the people who have been working tirelessly behind the scenes, including the folks at NParks, as well as volunteers and staff from all the various organisations. Do check the official blog for the Festival of Biodiversity (maintained by Jocelyne) for more updates!



I promise that I'll blog more about the Singapore Blog Awards after Sunday (Vote for me). See you at the Festival!

(Cross-posted to Monday Morgue)