Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wow! An insect that looks like a man’s face

 Wow! An insect that looks like a man’s face
A STOMPer spotted this strange looking insect at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and says the back of the insect looks like a man's face.

In an email to STOMP today (Feb 28), the STOMPer says:

"The other day when I was visiting the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve I came across this strange insect on the branch of a mangrove tree.

"It has a pair of antennae and six orange legs.

"The back of the insect looks like a man's face with two eyes and a long beard protruding from the chin.

"Could someone please tell me what insect this is?"

 Wow! An insect that looks like a man’s face

Related posts: Does anyone know what this strange insect is? (30th December 2009)
Strange insect with face on its back (21st October 2009)

As far as I know, this appears to be a species of shield bug (Pentatomoidea), although my knowledge of insect taxonomy does not allow me to make a more definite identification.