Sunday, February 15, 2009

Haze back in S'pore? Healthy PSI reading, but can still see and smell smoke in air

Haze back in S'pore? Healthy PSI reading, but can still see and smell smoke in air
STOMPer Marc says he was told that the PSI reading is normal, but he can still see and smell the smoke in the air.

He says:

"My wife and I live in the Hougang area, and have been plagued by hazy and smoky air at nights for the last 1.5 weeks.

"This morning (Feb 15, 8am), we again woke up to smoky air. There was a strong smoky smell in the air, and it had seeped into the house.

"When you look out the window, it is very apparent to the naked eye that the air was hazy.

"I called the National Environment Agency Hotline and was told by the staff that the PSI reading was a mere 46 - which is in the healthy range.

"I have attached a picture that I took this morning from our living room window. You can see the poor visibility in the picture.

"There is an obvious disparity between what you can see/smell vs the PSI reading. I question the accuracy of the NEA PSI meters, as what we're experiencing is corroborated by most of the neighbours in our estate.

"I would appreciate it if the relevant authorities can look into this health issue."

Go here for relevant news articles and related Seen on STOMP posts on bushfires in Singapore