Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lightning, then tree crashes into dad's van: He loses sole source of income

Lightning, then tree crashes into dad's van: He loses sole source of income
STOMPer Nazrah's dad, a school bus driver, lost his sole source of income after lighting struck a tree and caused it to crash into his van.

In an email to STOMP today (May 13), the STOMPer says:

"Recently on May 9, Vesak Day, there was a freak accident along Ubi Ave 1.

"I believe lightning hit this particular tree at the carpark, and caused it to tumble and hit my father's van.

"The van is now badly damaged. Many other cars around the carpark also suffered the same fate. A lot of other vehicles in the carpark have many scratches due to tree branches grazing them.

"I also heard that someone's third floor window balcony broke into pieces after a tall tree tumbled down on it.

"What frustrated me most is that after meeting with the town council, HDB board, and my father's insurance company, none could offer any form of help when we were seeking compensation.

"Why is that so?

"Instead, they asked us to engage a lawyer and make further complaints to the LTA or NEA, or settle the bills ourselves. I believe damages cause by lightning falls under the category of accidents.

"It really saddens me as my father is a sole-breadwinner and self-employed school bus driver who uses the van to provide us with bread and butter.

"Seeing my father having to 'beg' insurance for his claim for the damaged van is really heart-wrenching."