Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Monitor lizard gets run over by vehicle in Pasir Ris

Monitor lizard gets run over by vehicle in Pasir Ris
STOMPer SWY appeals to all motorists to look out for animals/reptiles crossing the road, after coming across this dead monitor lizard along Pasir Ris St 11 today (May 27).

In an email to STOMP today (May 27), the STOMPer said:

"I came across a road kill today at 3.00pm along Pasir Ris St 11, in front of Blk 132.

"He wonders where such a 1.3m long monitor lizard came from.

"It was unfortunate for this reptile as an unknown vehicle had run over it.

"I had to move it to the grass verge as it bled from its mouth. The NEA was contacted to remove it thereafter.

"I appeal to all motorists to look out for such animals/reptiles crossing the roads."

Related post: No jaywalking. Monkeys more law-abiding than humans (1st April 2009)

How sad that this post should appear on the very same day I was at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve with my form class, taking photos of Malayan water monitors (Varanus salvator) that were still very much alive.

I'm reminded of this sign, which can be found along the road in many parts of Sentosa:


(Photo by scubawatters)