Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What a weird, weird tree

What a weird, weird tree
STOMPer kk1001cdf was having lunch at a coffeeshop yesterday (Apr 27) afternoon, when the STOMPer spotted this unique tree at the junction of Changi North Road and Jalan Mariam.

In an email to STOMP, the STOMPer wrote:

"I came across this unique tree with fully grown of fruit at its tree trunk nearby.

"I wonder if this fruit can be eaten. Out of curiosity, I took some photos to share the uniqueness of the trees with other STOMPers."

STOMP is contacting NParks for more information on these plants.

What a weird, weird tree
What a weird, weird tree
What a weird, weird tree
What a weird, weird tree
What a weird, weird tree
What a weird, weird tree

It's definitely some sort of fig (Ficus spp.), although I can't identify the exact species at this point; my botanical knowledge is very rudimentary. Anyone has a copy of A Guide To The Fabulous Figs Of Singapore?