Monday, June 15, 2009

What type of insects are these and why are they laying eggs?

What type of insects are these and why are they laying eggs?
STOMPer Maruko spotted these insects laying eggs at the rim of the STOMPer's toilet window and wondered why they chose to do so there.

In an email to STOMP today (June 15), the STOMPer wrote:

"I found this group of creepy looking bugs laying eggs at the rim of my toilet window.

"I wonder why they chose to lay their eggs there.

"I have tried to find out what type of insect it is but I could not find it on the internet.

"Anyone has any idea?"

These bugs aren't laying eggs, they're newly hatched young that just emerged from the eggs.

I'm not too sure exactly what species of insect is pictured here, although I am certain that it's some sort of true bug, or hemipteran (O. Hemiptera). Marcus, who knows a lot more about insects than I do, suggested that they might be nymphs of a leaf-footed bug (F. Coreidae).

Leaf-footed bugs, along with their close relatives such as shield bugs (F. Acanthosomatidae), stink bugs (F. Pentatomidae) and cotton stainer bugs (F. Pyrrhocoridae), are all herbivorous, using their proboscis to suck the sap of plants. Both Marcus and I found it a little odd that the mother bug laid her eggs in a toilet, since a leaf would present a far more appropriate site.